Saturday 8 October 2011

Mr Soft goes to Thailand.

Ohhhhhhh. So THIS is what a Bangkok hangover feels like. So apparently the Thai beer Chang has a variable alcohol content, from 6 - 16%, which isn't listed on the bottle. It's like a booze roulette - you never know what you're gonna get. Anyway, turns out I got the jackpot - after the dog licking episode I headed out for some drinks with some lovely people from the hostel, and this is where things get kind of blurry.

To cut a long blog short, after drinks on the Khao San Road we headed to a ping pong show, where I apparently nodded off. After doing a Charlie's Angels style roll out of the cab that I'd got into for free at some traffic lights (I don't think he was driving me home), I got in another, safer, one where I taught the fun loving cabbie some Scouse phrases of choice. Turns out he supported Liverpool FC, and after hearing "arr eh, fucccck off" said in an endearing Thai accent, I got to the 7 Eleven near the hostel. I'd had the foresight to stock up on what I'd thought were salt and vinegar crisps for breakfast, but I woke this morning with a mouth like the Sahara to what were actually sushi flavour monstrosities. No one needs rolled fish flavouring in 30 degree humidity. Still scoffed the whole lot though.



All possessions in tact, including phone, wallet and glasses. I did think I'd lost my shoes this morning but turns out I'd walked into the hostel with them on (a big no-no) and then had to kick them off, and the kindly night porter had put them in a little locker for me. The Thai people are so cute.

So I headed up to Wat Pho, which was worth the 3,000 miles of travel alone. After a full body traditional Thai massage, my weary bones were clicked and stretched in impossible directions and I floated round the Temple at sunset. The Reclining Buddha was wondrous, a huge glittering effigy, as big as the building itself, with a cheeky smile and a posture that I've adopted for the rest of the day.



Still not sure what to do on Monday, but I guess I'll figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get time and fancy a classy drink and have some spare cash and have some smart clothes, have a drink on the 63rd floor of the State Tower, the bar is called Lebua. Cocktails are out of this world as is the view. Bit pricy but worth it.

    ReplyDelete