Monday 10 October 2011

Cellophane wrapped Buddha.

Bangkok is hot and wet. When it rains, it really rains. It's like having a tepid, smelly shower. You're so hot and sticky, and you think surely this will bring light relief. Nope.

I'm still in Bangkok and after deliberating whether to stay in Thailand, luckily I met some lovely people at the hostel who were heading to Siem Reap in Cambodia tomorrow, so I decided to hang out for another day and take the trip with them. Luckily I now have a room ready and waiting for me in their hotel and I'm sticking to my original plan. Apparently the flooding in Cambodia is now only ankle deep.



The Thai Royal family are highly revered here, and yesterday we took a tuk tuk to the Grand Palace. I know I love the dramz, but I was actually terrified, clinging on for dear life and convinced we would be knocked over by a rickety old Bangkok bus or an elephant or something. The Grand Palace is an eerily perfect place, all shiny and sparkling and disinfected. Visiting the Emerald Buddha (one of the most venerated sites in Thailand), I think I preferred the reclining one, but Emerald was pretty impressive. The heavens opened for the daily hot stinky monsoon shower as we were leaving so we took refuge in the gift shop until it subsided. Not really sure about constantly smelling like wet flannels but I can deal.



Today I took a walk on my own past the Democracy Memorial and ended up in the Chao Poh Seua, the Tiger God shrine, where Chinese-Thais come to pray for "power, prestige and successful pregnancy". I walked in, unsure of whether I would be welcome, and stumbled across about 15 people in amazing costumes and make up and fake beards like the guy out of Kill Bill. I stood mesmerised / terrified while they acted out some kind of ancient drama on a stage about 6 by 4 feet. No one apart from me was watching or taking notice. The incense was choking me, and I had one of those this. is. fucking. unreal. moments. I don't think I left any more powerful, prestigious or successfully pregnant, but I'll remember it forever.

I continued my walk up to Thanon Bamrung Muang, where you can buy stuff for Temples. There was thousands of Buddhas, bigger than me, all wrapped up in cellophane. I so wanted to buy one but I don't think it would have counted in my luggage allowance. Plus I still have 2 other continents to get through - got to be sensible. It was good to get away from Khao San; I didn't see another Western face for at least 2 hours.



I'm not sure how long it will take before Temple Fatigue sets in, but I'll let you know when I get to Angkor Wat. For now, it's pretty fucking awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment