Wednesday 18 April 2012

Salt.. And people eating people.. And Magic Flamingoes.. And Giant Cinderella.. Etc.

The border crossing into Bolivia was absurd. I mean, actually ridiculous. The border police was literally a wily fox scuttling around outside and the immigration office no bigger than a garden shed. The guy didn't even look at the photo page of my passport.

LOVE IT.

We took the 3 day tour from San Pedro to arrive into Uyuni, the final destination being the famous Salt Flats, the Salar de Uyuni. What I hadn't really anticipated was how stunning the journey there would be. I can sit here and bore you with hyperbolic descriptions of magical flamingo lagoons, lunar landscapes made out of salt, geysers gushing up at howevermany degrees, but I'll just let the photos do the talking. It was totally. out. of. this. world.












The second day of the tour I wondered how much more National Geographic moments I could possibly take. Our moody / lunatic driver was just beginning to grate but we stopped in the weird town of Culpina K for the night, played cards, drank beer and even stopped by at the local store - someone's actual front room. It was a lot of fun.

Before the Salt Flats, more weirdness, in the shape of the Train Graveyard just outside Uyuni. I'm still not quite sure what this was, but it was all very post apocalyptic and creepy. Apart from the swings and see-saw which were clearly hilarious.





So here they are, in all their glory. One of the top things I was most excited about in South America, and they didn't disappoint. We covered our eyes until we were speeding in the middle of this salty desert of nothingness.






 




Words honestly can't describe.


But I'll try. 


Leave the country. Get on a plane to Bolivia. COME HERE! 


Easy! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment